2021-05-30: MediaWiki 1.36.0 available[edit | edit source]
MediaWiki is the software that runs Wikipedia and thousands of other wiki sites. Mediawiki 1.36.0 was released on 27th of May.
Release notes can be found on https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.36
New features[edit | edit source]
- The logo of MediaWiki has changed. This means that the "Powered By MediaWiki" button shown in the skin footer will be different.
- All HTML5 named entities are now accepted in wikitext.
- MediaWiki now supports 2048 pixel image size in the file description page's alternate size.
A note on upgrading[edit | edit source]
- MediaWiki 1.36 now requires the PHP internationalization extension (commonly referred to as Intl, ext-intl, or php-intl).
- The MediaWiki:Autoblock_whitelist block exemption control has been moved to MediaWiki:Block-autoblock-exemptionlist. If you use this feature, please move the MediaWiki:Autoblock_whitelist page.
- $wgExtensionFunctions is sometimes used to change configuration settings. This is not safe; extension functions are run relatively late, some services are already initialized by that point and so they use the old configuration. Changes in 1.36 make this kind of breakage even more common. You can use the MediaWikiServices hook instead. (In the future there might be a dedicated hook for configuration changes.)
- The MediaWiki update script, maintenance/update.php, used to accept `--nopurge` as an option to prevent clearing caches stored in the database during upgrade. This is no longer encouraged, and the option has been removed.
I've done the upgrade myself, and though fairly straight-forward I suggest you start fresh and move back images/*, LocalSettings.php and then re-install any extensions you are using. Some are not compatible with the new MediaWiki version, and others will need updates to work.
A full guide on how to upgrade MediaWiki is available at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading
MwExtUpgrader - A tool to automatically update extensions[edit | edit source]
MwExtUpgrades is a handy tool that can help the process of updating several plugins. You download it from https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MwExtUpgrader and then run
# php mwExtUpgrader.phar Note that this release of code is not stable. Do not use for production. Welcome to use mwExtUpgrader. This script can help you bulk upgrade MediaWiki extensions. Continue with this action? (y/n) y Please type the absolute path to the MediaWiki directory: /www/wiki.tnonline.net/mediawiki/ mwExtUpgrader detected your MediaWiki version is 1.36.0 Confirm version to be upgraded (default: 1.36)  1.31  1.35  1.36 > 2 ExtensionDistributor unsupported Fail2Log ExtensionDistributor unsupported Moderation ExtensionDistributor unsupported Purge CategoryTree successfully upgraded Cite successfully upgraded CiteThisPage successfully upgraded CodeEditor successfully upgraded ConfirmEdit successfully upgraded Gadgets successfully upgraded ImageMap successfully upgraded InputBox successfully upgraded Interwiki successfully upgraded LocalisationUpdate successfully upgraded MultimediaViewer successfully upgraded Nuke successfully upgraded OATHAuth successfully upgraded PageImages successfully upgraded ParserFunctions successfully upgraded PdfHandler successfully upgraded Poem successfully upgraded Renameuser successfully upgraded ReplaceText successfully upgraded Scribunto successfully upgraded SecureLinkFixer successfully upgraded SpamBlacklist successfully upgraded SyntaxHighlight_GeSHi successfully upgraded TemplateData successfully upgraded TextExtracts successfully upgraded TitleBlacklist successfully upgraded VisualEditor successfully upgraded WikiEditor successfully upgraded UserAgreement successfully upgraded WikiSEO successfully upgraded intersection successfully upgraded MonoBook successfully upgraded Timeless successfully upgraded Vector successfully upgraded